Thursday, May 31, 2007

A Winter Warmer

I obtained this recipie from Oliver and Geoff's Homebrew and Beer forum, courtesy of a fine fellow know only as Yardglass.

Coopers Ginger Beer Kit
Coopers Brew Enhancer #2
Grated Fresh Ginger 300gm
Lemon Zest & Juice
Ground Nutmeg 1 tbsp
Brown Sugar 2 tbsp
Golden Syrup 2 tbsp
Ginger Pwdr 3 tbsp
Honey 2 tbsp
Cloves 2
Cinnamon 2'' stick
Safale Yeast

Brewing Notes
Add CBE & Fresh Ginger to 2lt of water and bring to boil.
Boil for 20min.
While this is boiling, hydrate Nutmeg, Ginger Pwdr, Brown sugar in a cup of hot water.
@ 20min add the hydrated ingredients along with Honey, Gldn Syrup and Lemon Zest.
Boil for further 10min.
@ 30min add Kit, Cloves, Cinnamon and Lemon Juice.
Boil for further 10min.
@ 40min flame out and strain into sanitised primary, top up to 23lt, pitch yeast.

I briefly toyed with the idea of adding the kilo bag of sugar i found in my cupboard here at uni, but decided against it. But I do have a sneaking suspicion that i added the spare 500g of dextrose i had lying around. Should've added more.

After about a day i realised i hadn't added a yeast nutrient pack, so i dumped an old yeast pack in some very bloody hot water, and tipped it all in. Seems to have helped, its still going today (Thurs 31st May) and I put it on about a week and a half ago.

Tasting Notes:
I've really got to up my game. Bloody thing got infected. I suspect it may have been alright if i had bottled it straight away when it finished. Lot of money down the drain there.

Having said that though, i feel like quite the dill, twas but a tad of yeast that made me question said brew. It will be bottled shortly, in grolsh swing-tops no less. Quite the young cad I do say what.

1/11 Well this brew was finished months ago, but I feel I must say a few words on its account. A dem fine brew it was, though some bottles were a cut above and some a cut below. When I do it again I will try for less body and more spice. Should be nice.



No comments: