Monday, November 01, 2010

Two-birds Pilsner.

A recreation of an old classic.

Ingredients:
Thomas Coopers Pilsener Kit
1kg LDME
700g Carapils, steeped for half an hour

25g NZ Saaz for 1 hr
20g NZ Saaz for 30 mins
15g NZ Saaz for 15 mins

Saflager Dry Lager Yeast

Brewing Notes:
Brewed on the 1/11/10. Nice weather, Carcs dropped by, smashed it out quick-smart. Small boil volume may have ramifications on the flavour, as it could result in a higher level of caramelisation of the sugars in the boil. Not sure, we've only heard rumours of this here at CCB.

Bottling Notes:
Bottled on the 20th of Nov, two days before heading to Italy.

Tasting Notes:
1st Taste on the 12th of December, two days after heading to Italy: I'm not totally sure which Pils is which, as I forgot to note this when I made them. Stupid. Stupid stupid stupid. Because one is fantastic, and one is not so great. I think this is the one that is not so great, as I bottled the bad one 2nd out of a fermenter sealed with glad wrap, and that was the one that I made 2nd. Not great logic, even worse memory. Bugger.

No comments: