Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Pilsenale

Not quite a Pilsner.

Ingredients:
Black Rock Pilsner Kit
Mogan's Extra Pale Liquid Malt Extract
500g Dextrose
250g Carapils, steeped
30g Saaz @ 30 mins
10g Saaz @ 10 mins
Low gravity ale yeast.

Fermenting Notes:
This one sat unattended in the fermenter for about one and a half months after it finished fermenting, during which time I forgot it was a Pilsenale (my new name for a Pilsner made with an ale yeast. I seemed to think it was a wheat, but upon bottling, when it didn't taste anything like a wheat beer I took stock of my leftover supplies, and sure enough, I still had a wheat beer kit and copious amounts of wheat malt extract.

Bottling Notes:
Yay for sun and Monday arvo PBS programs (one of which was quite aptly named Homebrew, though it refers to the fact it only plays Australian music).

Tasting Notes:
Stay tuned.

No comments: